Saturday, March 14, 2009

Today is White Day in Japan... remembered that as I read The Street of a Thousand Blossoms this morning.

One thing I really like about my apartment is that it overlooks a large basketball court where people walk their dogs. It's so much fun to see all the different kinds- everyone seems to have a dog here! This morning, there were a number of really playful ones. And this afternoon, I saw two adorable cocker spaniels. If I had a house with a yard and were planning to stay longer, I'd totally consider gettting a dog.

I think I discovered at least a dry cleaner close by, possibly one that does laundry. Will have to check it out further next week. I seem to have killed the washing machine in my apt. (it was OLD!), so I'm looking around for other solutions.

No TV/Internet at home, today. The technician wrote down the wrong date and won't be available until Monday. However, I'm leaving tomorrow night to go out of town for a week, so it'll have to be next Saturday. Signed the contract, though- not too expensive, I don't think. It'll be a good way to save money on going out and learn some Polish at the same time.

After the guy left, I got out and explored a bit. Discovered a restaurant, small market and cute bistro/bakery down the street from me, and a medium-sized market around the corner (thanks to P).

Took the bus to the mall where I picked up a couple new notebooks (Empik is an awesome store!), looked at train schedules for a possible trip in April, and bought a ticket to go see Opeth next Saturday night. He's coming to a club here and I'll be back by then so I figured, "Why not?" It'll be kind of fun going out to a concert here!

Also bought a ticket to see a movie, a Polish one called "Kochaj i Tancz". It looks like it'll be a pretty dance film, so I decided to risk it. The theater is interesting- tickets are 27 zloty for a Saturday evening show (about $7.80 USD) and when you buy one, they assign you a seat. The main lobby is HUGE. It has tons of space to sit and have snacks, and has an actual BAR right in the middle! I went up to the level where the movie was showing and found another sort of club area, with white futuristic furniture, space to sit under a huge glass dome ceiling, and egg chairs! See, P? I TOLD you we should have seen it while you were here.... ^_^

2 comments:

  1. Funny -- I'd assumed that movie was a translated one from over here, but apparently not. I wish I had gone to see it with you now 8)

    I gotta say. That mall and the one way up on Jana Pawla II were way cool.

    I find myself really missing bits of living in Poland. It was kinda nice to be able to walk everywhere vs. having to hop in the car.

    Not that I'd give up driving, but....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the movie was good- you would have liked it, I think, despite the genre. And the malls are indeed cool.

    Driving is certainly wonderful, and you're very good at it and enjoy it, but it can be nice to have options every once in a while, if you'd like them

    ReplyDelete