Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Observations

Random things about Poland so far....

-- Apartments often have pretty, arched doorways without doors.
-- People smoke a lot here, especially inside. It's hard to find a place without it, even in "non-smoking" sections.
-- Most of the beer here is of the light variety- pilsners, ales, etc. I've only found one darker beer so far.
-- Vacuum cleaners are called "hoovers".
-- Everything has lots of fur on it- hats, gloves, coats, shoes...
-- Warsaw apparently loves sushi! I've seen about 20 different places so far.
-- Things are open much later that in the US, and on weekends. Cafes are often open until 10 or 11, and doctors' offices are open until 9 and on weeekends.
-- Most women I've seen so far walk around in really high heels and tall boots. Hard to imagine that's comfortable, especially on uneven streets with stones, and in cold, rainy weather!
-- No Starbucks!! There's a similar place called Coffee Heaven, but it's not the same.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment