I've decided that sports will help me pick up a few Polish vocabulary words. The same terms tend to recur in articles on sports and that's one of my main interests, besides. My brain's too frazzled now with the job to conquer the grammar and all that, but it would be nice to be able to get the gist of an article here and there. So far I've learned that piłka nożna is "soccer", hokej is "hockey", and koszykówka is "basketball". Those seem to be the three main sports here, though right now, there's some sort of biathalon on the TV. Interesting stuff.
And in other news, I think the washer has decided to rejoin the living! It took my assistant calling the landlord and me visiting the dry cleaner for it to behave. It's in the middle of a load right now, so in an hour, I may have some clean clothes again. That would be good- the dry cleaner does do laundry, but it's expensive, something I'd save for heavy coats and bedding. So let's hope the washer behaves itself from now on!
I also learned about an interesting Polish custom today. Apparently, it's an old tradition for boys to hide in bushes and around corners and ambush the girls on Easter Sunday with water. I mentioned the possibility of going somewhere over the Easter weekend and was warned to be careful of people ready to dump buckets of water on me. If you're frolicking around your village and can go home and get dry, that's very cute and all, but if you have a multi-hour train ride ahead of you... not so good. So maybe I'll reconsider Easter travel plans.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment