I feel like today was pretty productive, in spite of the computer troubles. I got a lot done at work today, and woke up earlier than usual. I looked outside to see that it had snowed a lot more! Everything was covered in a pretty, white blanket of light snow. I tried to take pictures, but all I got was the snowflakes falling, so I'll have to wait until it stops. And the camera's batteries ran out, too. This snow thing is kind of a trip- I know it's not a big deal, but it's kind of exciting, considering that my usual climate features a lot of sunshine and warm dryness.
Later this afternoon, I wandered around a bit, enjoying the snow, and noticed that one of the little branch libraries was open. I looked at their window display which featured a bunch of fun pictures and books on cats and decided to go in. From a quick glance, they had a large selection of books in English, so I enquired about library cards. They needed some documentation that I'd left at home, so I ran home, threw in a load of wash and went back. I successfully got a library card which can be used at any of the city's public libraries. To get it, I had to pay a 50zl "kaucja", which in English, translates to "bail". I guess this is in case you lose/damage a book.
I thoroughly browsed around- they had a lot of neat stuff! I wandered out of there with a Polish translation of a Japanese book (Yama no Oto by Kawabata Yasunari); a Spanish translation of a Japanese book (Kokkyou no Minami, Taiyou no Nishi by Murakami Haruki); an English book (About a Boy by Nick Hornby); and an audio book whose title I'm currently forgetting but was recommended by the nice, patient librarian. So I'm all set here!
After dropping off the library books and checking the clothes, I wandered back out in search of cleaning supplies and trash bags. At one store, I managed to find more clothes hangers and batteries. At the next, I discovered trash bags... as well as everything *else* I could want! Cleaning stuff, shampoo, umbrellas... everything. However, they were just closing, so I'll have to go back there tomorrow.
On the way back from that store, I spotted a place selling samosas. I thought those sounded good, so I got a couple to go, as well as some grapefruit juice. I opened the box when I got home and discovered that their dough was whole-wheat and that they came with a shredded beet and carrot salad. Yummy!!
And now I'm at the cafe for another couple hours before they close, taking advantage of free, working internet and no electric shocks. *sigh*
Hope everyone else's day is going well.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment