Thursday, April 23, 2009

Work today was productive, but the couple of errands afterward were a bit frustrating. I needed to go to the library and market. I'd finished the 3 books I'd checked out and *almost* finished the audio CD- had 2 more CDs to listen to. So I wanted to renew it. Before I left, I looked things up and thought I'd figured out how to say "I haven't finished this yet. May I renew it?" I told this to the librarian, she said something to me that I didn't understand, then zapped the barcodes and started to shelve it. We finally clarified that I wanted to check it out another time, and it's now due again in a month. I just wish I could express a simple need like this in Polish. I'm on the waiting list for a class now, and if they don't have space in a week, I'll sign up for individual lessons.

Then I went to the market. I picked up milk and lunch for tomorrow, a little over 11 zloty. However, all the ATMs here ever disperse are these huge 100 zloty bills. I keep trying to break them whenever I can, but today, that was all I had, plus 5 zloty and 10 groszy. The woman was kinda peeved with me, but I showed her my pocketbook and told her that was all I had. If no one wants to deal with these huge bills, why do they even make them? The ATMs should give out 10, 20 and 50 zloty bills; then we'd be good.

Another pet peeve with Poland is that I *always* feel in the way. Every little sklep and restauracja and cukierna is soooooo tiny. I always feel so huge, taking up the whole aile or passageway, always in the exact spot that someone wants to go somehow. And I'm not familiar with the language or selection in these places, so it takes a bit of time and examination to figure out what I want. But as soon as I pick a spot to look over things, it seems that someone else always wants to be *exactly* there. Kind of annoying, and a better reason to shop online more.

No comments:

Post a Comment