Friday, March 19, 2010

Kansai 2010- Leaving Europe

*sigh* Japan trip isn't off to a great start so far. Got ready this am, left the house, got to the airport in plenty of time, everything was going well. Sat next to a nice Polish couple on the plane who were also going to Osaka. Then there was a little.... technical problem. Some issue with a probe on the tail that tells the airspeed or something. You'd think they'd get these things solved before they're almost on the runway. So we sat there for over an hour while the engineers looked at it. I'm glad they did, of course- always good to check these things out rather than risk something. But as a result, I missed my connecting flight, as did most of the plane. One hour delay and I get to Osaka an entire *day* later. *sigh*

They re-booked everyone on other flights. Mine now leaves tomorrow morning, going from Amsterdam to Paris, then from there to Osaka. I'll now get to Osaka around 9am on Sunday. But the airline was very nice. They booked hotels for us, paid for them and free dinner and breakfast, and gave us free bus service to/from the airport. I picked up some little necessities in the Amsterdam airport, then took the bus (with the nice Polish couple) to the hotel. Joanna and MichaƂ were very nice- both lawyers, liked traveling, we talked about everything. It was at least nice to make a couple new friends!

Now I've got a night in a rather nice hotel in Amsterdam. I hate delays, but this is a nice place to be delayed. Dinner was delicious, beef, potatoes, carrots, salad... and now I've got some red wine and the new book by Nick Hornby. I've got a comfy bed and good night's rest to look forward to, *then* on to Japan, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment