Feb. 5, I boarded the early morning train to the Czech Republic. Had a nice chat all the way to Katowice with a lady in my compartment- we talked about traveling, books, countries we liked, places I should visit in Poland and Warsaw, all sorts of stuff. She was really nice, and it was fun to meet someone new.
Got off in Ostrava, took the tram out to the hotel, which turned out to be right behind the ČEZ Aréna. I love knowing where I'm going! Bought a ticket to the game (only 100 Czk!), dumped off my stuff, then wandered around and explored a bit before the game. Discovered that next to the arena, there's a little hockey shop and painted on either side of the door are Mucha images. How cool is that? ^_^
Had a late lunch/early dinner in a place down the road, read the sports newspaper for a bit, then took the tram back to the arena to see HC Vítkovice Steel play HC Slavia Praha. Good game, though Vítkovice was *not* on top of their game. I could tell they have some good players, esp. this one forward, Juraj Štefanka, but they just seemed.... slow that night. And Slavia's defense was REALLY tight; they only let one goal through. Vítkovice's goalie did a great job, he has excellent potential. But ultimately, Slavia won, 3-1. It was a fun game, though, and I'm glad I went.
Went down to Zamek Zabřeh afterward for a late dinner and some beer. It was *packed*! The only spot left was a little one by the bar, so I took it and read my book for a bit. About 15 min. later, the hostess came over and said she'd found a spot at a table for me with two other people, so I took it. The two guys there turned out to be really nice- one was from Moravia, one was from Ostrava. We happily talked all night, about *everything*. They were both really fun, friendly and cute, so I had a great night. Went back to the hotel, crashed, had a great night's sleep.
Slept in a bit the next morning, then took an intercity train to Prague. Nice ride! It reminded me a lot of the nice new Amtrak trains. Only took 3 hours, and it was really relaxing. I had some good coffee, read, watched the gorgeous scenery, listened to the soft, pleasant sounds of Czech around me. Got off in Prague, took the Metro to the hotel, relaxed for a bit before heading out.
It was an absolutely perfect night. I'd decided to wear my favorite black and purple skirt, so I felt a little dressier than usual. Which turned out to be a good thing, because as I was reading a text message from a friend, I missed the stop I wanted to get off at. So I got off at the next one, Náměstí Republiky, and saw a big building that was all lit up. I followed my curiosity and discovered that it was the Municipal Building, the largest Art Nouveau building in downtown Prague. There was a gorgeous French restaurant there with original art by Mucha, and to my pleasure, I discovered that there was also a concert hall.... with a concert starting in 20 minutes! A chamber ensemble was playing three pieces, Pachelbel's Canon in D, a sonata by Mozart, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons- how could I resist? I bought a ticket and went in.
It was marvelous! A small, intimate, dark wood-paneled concert hall in the bottom of the building, decorated with beautiful Art Nouveau motifs, tiles, painted panels, stained glass. My seat was in the third row, so I had a great view of the string sextet and solo violin. They played beautifully- the Pachelbel and Vivaldi pieces are two of my absolute favorites, so it was wonderful to hear them in such a gorgeous setting, live. That's one of the nice things about Europe- just so *much* art and music all around, accessible to everyone, open to spontaneity. You can just wander around and on the spur of the moment, decide to go hear some gorgeous classical music.
I had a lovely dinner of beef goulash, dumplings and beer afterward in the Kavárna. Such high ceilings, perfect decor.... I could just imagine the artsy, literary bohemian crowd from the turn of the century gathering there to discuss politics, culture, whatever. I could have stayed there all night, admiring the interiors and enjoying coffee. But it had sort of been a long day, so I headed back to the hotel. Had a nice chat with a good friend, then crashed.
Woke up early Sunday, had a relaxing breakfast, then set out to wander around the Old Town for a bit. It had started snowing and gotten much colder, so I decided that staying indoors would be a good idea. Found a little cafe attached to the Hotel Liberty and enjoyed some coffee and warmth before going off to meet a colleague.
Met my colleague for a brief tour of the old town area, learned a bit more about Prague history, then she and I had beer and caught up for a couple hours. It was really a nice afternoon. After that, she took off, and I caught the tram out to Výstaviště to see HC Praha play HC Litvínov. Great game! Very exciting. Praha won, 3-2, some really good goals there. After the game, I caught the night train back to Warsaw- didn't get in too late this time, only about 30 min. late. I really just love these weekends down south- adds balance to the rest of life.
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment